Thursday, November 30, 2017

Cooking at the Community College...#2...Miss Tina

(This was from June '17, but, forgot to post it)

"Well, hellllll-o, handsome!" It was Tina, my favorite transitioning student at the community college, sidling up to the sneeze guard separating her from me at the fryer station.

 "How's your day goin'?" she inquired in a perky, supermarket, check out girl tone of voice. She then leaned one arm on the old tray line, swinging her chin upon her shoulder in a rehearsed pose of classic, Hollywood seduction.  Goodness, it's early, I thought, but, we have theater in the cafe' today. With great earnestly, I resolved to remain virtuous to this cooing temptress by shaking a basket of tater tots, grabbing her standing, daily order of gourmet fries and dropping them into the scalding oil.

"Not too shabby," I started, looking away from her and gazing out across the Cougar Cafe' pausing, "but, it just got better."

Looking directly at her, I needed to make eye contact and parry her fledgling advance.  A confused, 20 year old queen isn't going to put me on my heels, I thought.  Flattering though it may be, attempting to put this middle-aged cook in a dither at my own work space is not an open audition. There will be push back.  Gloves off...

"How's your morning going, sweetheart?" I confidently inquired, "love your blouse and jeans shorts outfit...PERfect for our first 90 degree day of the year.  And the dark denim of the cut off short-shorts? Nice contrast to the lighter top.  I LOVE the puffy, Mexican peasant shoulders, too.  They really suit your body type.  Oh well, I could go on..."

Her mouth was visibly agape; hazel eyes bulging and stunned behind black rimmed, safety glasses.  A blank expression had set into a light, powdery foundation; a few blotches of acne concealer barely visible under a soft pink expertly brushed into her plumped cheeks. The boy from Pendleton that became a girl in Carlton actually blushed.  She took a breath and composed herself.  Someone finally noticed her.

"It's all I had today.  Was running late, slept through my first mid-term, then...," she began making swirling gestures with a hand in the air, rolling her eyes in an attempt to break my fixed and piercing stare.  Tina actually looked away and pretended to wave at a friend across the cafe'.  She nervously resumed our conversation and peered into the fryer, hoping her gaze would complete the cooking process.

"Girl did what Girl had to do with what Girl had," I stated matter-or-factly,  "And she looks FABULOUS!" I confirmed, pulling the french fries out to hang for a few seconds.  Tossing them in a bowl with seasoning salt and into a paper-lined basket, I then loaded them with Tina's favorite toppings: bacon, cheddar cheese, garlic/parm and sour cream.  Presenting the dish to her, she commented,

"And you remembered no green onions..."

"Of course I remembered.  Enjoy, and have a great rest of your day, sweetheart" I offered.

Daintily selecting, then tasting a few shoestring potatoes, Tina turned, threw her head back and winked,

"It just got better..."

No comments: